Friday, August 28, 2009

Peas, Apples and Brother's Bargain Peppers


I scoffed up some of the last of the six-week peas at the NC Farmers' Market today, a one-half bushel bag (already shelled, see the picture) for my freezer.  Apples are just in, and it was fun to taste and choose.  I got a $3 box of rustic goldens, a sweet and tart apple good for eating and cooking.  The picture shows my beautiful haul for the day.  Now I have to cook!  In a day or so, I will post a recipe I fixed with something from this picture.


As a result of reading the book The China Study and watching the documentary Food, Inc., I am eating a lot more vegetables now, for both health and ethical reasons.   I am actually having a lot of fun finding yummy local produce and creating something wonderful with it.  


Brother's Bargain Peppers:  On Monday my brother and I shopped at the Farmers' Market, and after I had just paid $3 for a pint of blueberries, I found him paying $10 for a flat of very ripe blueberries.  He went with me again today, and here is what he found for $8:  a whole box of multi-colored bell peppers with a few spots on them.  This time I didn't pay full price (about $.90 each!) - I got two for free from him.  Maybe if I keep taking him with me to market, I might learn a thing or two.  


If you want to see more of what was at market today, click here, and choose "slideshow."


Thanks, Sheffield, for becoming my first follower!


Does anyone have any produce shopping tips to share? I welcome your comments and feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment